Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships 2019-20
Deadline for current UChicago students: Monday, February 11, 2019 at 11:59pm CT
Upcoming Information Sessions:
- · Wednesday, January 9 from 3:30 – 4:30pm, in UChicagoGRAD HQ
- · Thursday, January 17 from 3:30 – 4:30pm, in UChicagoGRAD HQ
- · Register for the sessions via GRAD Gargoyle (click on Events>GRAD Events)
FLAS Fellowships are awards for graduate students concentrating on modern foreign language and international or area studies. In the 2019-20 competition cycle, UChicago will accept applications for languages in three world areas: East Asia, East Europe, and Middle East. The FLAS Fellowships provide Academic Year Fellowships for language and area studies coursework on campus during the 2019-20 academic year, and Summer FLAS Fellowships for language study on campus or elsewhere (domestically or abroad) during summer 2019. All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and cannot be beyond the fifth year of graduate study while holding the award.
Academic Year Fellowship Benefits
For doctoral students in the Divinity School, Humanities Division, and Social Sciences Division who receive the Graduate Aid Initiative (GAI) funding package: While holding an academic year FLAS fellowship, PhD students receive a $3,000 stipend supplement to their Graduate Aid Initiative (GAI) funding package and, in addition, aid will be provided to cover the quarterly Student Life Fee. (DIV, HUM, and SSD students who are not funded through the Graduate Aid Initiative, as well as all doctoral students in other academic divisions and professional schools, should consult with their Dean of Students office regarding FLAS award packages.)
Master’s students receive a $15,000 stipend, full tuition, and other benefits depending on division (check with your Dean of Students office).
Summer Fellowship Benefits:
All Summer FLAS fellowships provide a $2,500 stipend and up to $5,000 in tuition for the applicant's language program of choice.
More information and next steps
- · Application details: Information on language offerings, eligibility requirements, and more are available on the FLAS website.
- · FLAS Manual: The FLAS Manual is a comprehensive resource that addresses the frequently asked FLAS questions.
- · Questions that aren't covered in the FLAS Manual? Start by contacting the appropriate Area Center contact (listed at the bottom of the FLAS website). Sara Mehta, FLAS Coordinator, is also available to answer questions.
- · Information sessions: Attend one of the January information sessions; details above.