The newly formed Crossing Disciplinary Boundaries Working Group will host its inaugural event on September 22, 2017 from 9am-5pm in Saieh Hall for Economics rm. 146. The day-long event will include research presentations by UChicago doctoral students and discussion by faculty members from departments other than the students' home unit. Built into the day will also be a round table discussion on ways to cultivate cross-department collaboration. To participate, please visit the Call for Papers here.
Topics of interest for this workshop may include but are not limited to:
- The role of neighborhoods in shaping social and economic opportunity
- Social networks, diversity and peer effects
- Inclusion of citizens in the political process
- The experience of first-generation college students
- The role of markets in promoting or reducing income inequality
- Reflections on methodological differences, standards of evidence, and data collection in the different social science disciplines
Interested PhD students are invited to send a 500-word abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, program, and year of study in the email. The deadline for submission is August 1st. Decisions will be announced by August 20th. Faculty interested in participating as discussants are warmly invited to signal their interest by sending an email to email@example.com.