Residence Status for PhD Programs

Students in PhD programs are assigned to a residence status correlating to their year of study.

The following information is not comprehensive, but rather provides a basic pattern of how the residence system works.

During the first four years of study PhD students are in Scholastic Residence. Scholastic Residence is a full-time registration and requires students to register Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters.

After completeing Scholastic Residence, students enter Advanced Residence. They will remain in Advanced Residence through year 12. Advanced Residence is a full-time registration, which requires students to register Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters. Students may register for courses while in Advanced Residence, but are not required to do so.

If a student has not received the PhD degree by the end of the twelfth year of study, they are Administratively withdrawn. Students who have been withdrawn can still complete their dissertation and graduate with the permission of their department and the Division. In order to obtain the PhD after they have been Administratively withdrawn, students must complete all degree requirements, including the dissertation and the dissertation defense, their department must certify that they have demonstrated current knowledge in their field, and the student must pay a graduation fee.

Students who have been Administratively Withdrawn are not eligible for loan deferments, additional student loans, or health insurance coverage through the university. They will be eligible for a two-quarter grace period (usually Autumn and Winter quarters) during which they will maintain access to electronic resources. After the end of the two-quarter grace period students will only be eligible for alumni privileges, which are available regardless of whether a student has received a degree.

Additional information on the Residence System is in the Student Manual.